Assorted Filo Pastry Parcels
|1kg Red Onions.(s)||
|1 Garlic (Loose Bulb)(s)||
|1 Chives (60G Pack)(s)||
|1 Flat Leaf Parsley (Bunch)(s)||
|1 Lemons (s)||
|Salt and Pepper (to taste)|
450g/ 1lb frozen filo pastry, defrosted olive oil, for greasing.
salt and freshly ground black pepper.
FOR THE CHEESE FILLING
250g/ 8 1/2 oz Feta cheese.
2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts.
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chervil or chives.
1 large egg separate.
FOR THE PRAWN FILLING
55g/ 2oz crab meat.
2 garlic cloves, crushed.
2 spring onions, finely chopped.
3 tbsp mayonnaise.
2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsle.
1 lemon juice.
15 large frozen shelled cooked prawns, defrosted.
FOR THE SAUSAGE FILLING
4 spicy chorizo sausages, cut across into quarters.
2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5 and grease to baking sheets with oil, bake for about 25 mins until just golden.
- Make the fillings for the cheese pastries, crumble the cheese into a bowl and stir in the nuts, herbs and the lightly beaten egg yolk. Season and add just enough the lightly beaten egg white to give a mixture.
- For the prawns pastries, in a bowl mix all the ingredients but the lemon juice and prawns. Season, add just enough lemon juice togive a good sharp flavour.
- Remove the sheets of filo pastry from their packet only 2 or 3 at a time. Cover the remaining sheets with a damp cloth to prevent them drying out.
- For the prawns purses, cut 3 sheets of filo into 10cm/4 in squares. Oil lightly and arrange 3 on top of one another so that the corners from a star shape.
- For these cheese triangles: Cut the filo in long strips about 7.5cm/ 3 in wide and brush these lightly with oil. Place a generous spoonful of the mixture on one end of the strip about 2.5cm/ 1 in a way from that end and slightly off centre. Lifting the corner of the end farther from the filling, fold the pastry in to cover it and form a triangle. Then fold this stuffed triangle on its side parallel to the short edge of the strip of pastry up and over on the strip. Next fold this triangle onits diagonal side over on the strip of pastry. Press the edges lightly to seal the parcel well and brush the outside lightly with oil.
- For the sausage 'cigars': Cut the pastry into the same long strips as for the cheese triangles and lightly oil them. Place a piece of sausage at one end parallel to the short ends, sprinkle with a little cayenne and some parsley and simply roll the filo strip up, tucking in the edges as you go. Brush the finish cigars lightly with oil.
- Arrange on the baking sheets and bake for about 25 mins, until just golden.