|1kg Red Onions.(s)||
|1 Garlic (Loose Bulb)(s)||
|Molases or Honey|
|Shreded Cheddar Cheese|
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into small pieces.
- 1 large onion, chopped.
- 2 pounds ground beef.
- 4 chopped garlic cloves.
- 16 ounce can of tomato sauce.
- 1 cup beef broth.
- 2 Tbsp molasses or honey.
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika.
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin.
- 1 Tbsp chili powder.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional).
- As many hot dogs as you have people to serve.
- Buns for the hot dogs.
- Chopped red onion, for garnish.
- Shredded cheddar (or jack) cheese, for garnish.
- Make the chili first. Fry the bacon over medium heat until it begins to get crispy, then add the chopped onions and fry over high heat, stirring often, until they begin to brown. Add in the ground beef and stir in well, then cook. When the beef is about halfway browned, toss in the chopped garlic and mix well.
- Once the beef is well browned, add the tomato sauce, molasses and beef broth. Add all the spices except the cayenne and stir well. Bring to a simmer and taste.
- Let the chili cook on a gentle simmer for at least 30 minutes before you start grilling the hot dogs. You can cook it several hours if you want to, adding a little more beef broth here and there if the chili gets to dry.
- Grill your hot dogs over medium heat until they get a light char. Grill the hot dog buns briefly if you want – no more than a minute, as they will burn fast.
- Dog goes in bun, chili goes on top, sprinkle on chopped red onion and shredded chees