Courgette & Tomato Chutney
|1kg Vine Tomato (s)||
|1 Golden Delicious Apples (French) (s)||
|kg Onions (Brown)(s)||
|Cider Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar|
|Brown Sugar, Cinnamon Stick|
|Mixed Spice, Yellow Mustard Seeds|
- 500ml cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- 400g brown sugar (any brown sugar will work).
- 1 tbsp mixed spice.
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 4 onions, chopped.
- 1kg courgettes, diced
- 1kg tomatoes, chopped.
- 4 eating apples, peeled and diced.
- 300g sultanas
- Put the vinegar, 300ml water, sugar and spices in a very large pan. Heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves then add the rest of the ingredients with a tsp of salt.
- Bring back to a simmer then simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 hours until darkened, thick and chutney-like.
- To sterilise the jars, wash thoroughly in very hot soapy water. Rinse in very hot water then put on a baking sheet in a 140C/fan 120C/gas 1 oven until completely dry.
- Pour the chutney into the sterilised jars while still hot, seal and leave in a cool dark place for at least 3 weeks before opening.