Courgette, Onion and Cheddar
|1 Garlic (Net). Approx 8. Bulbs(s)||
|1 Thyme (60G Pack)(s)||
|1 Spanish Onion.(s)||
|Cheddar Cheese (Vegetarian)|
- 400g shortcrust pastry.
- Plain flour for dusting.
- 350g (2 medium) courgettes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Knob of butter.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped.
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely diced.
- Small bunch of fresh thyme leaved picked.
- 150ml double cream.
- 1 large free-range egg, plus.
- 2 egg yolks.
- 130g mature (vegetarian) Cheddar, finely grated.
- Preheat a baking sheet in the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to line a 20cm x 3.5cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick the base all over with a fork and chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Line with baking paper and baking beans or rice, then bake for 12 minutes. Remove the paper and beans/rice, reduce the temperature to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate the courgettes into a sieve, toss with a little salt and leave over a bowl for 5 minutes. In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter over a low-medium heat, then soften the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Increase the heat, stir in the courgette and thyme and fry for a couple of minutes until just golden.
- In a large jug, mix the cream with the egg, yolks, two-thirds of the grated Cheddar and some black pepper. Spoon the courgette and onion mix over the base of the tart. Pour over the Cheddar and cream mixture, then scatter with the remaining cheese. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes until golden and just set. Serve with a crisp green salad.