Creamy Baked Fennel
|1 Coriander (Bunch)(s)||
|1 Lemons (s)||
|1 Curly Parsley (Bunch)(s)||
|2 Fennel (s)||
|Single (light) Cream|
Fennel tastes fabulous in this creamy sauce, flavoured with caraway seeds. A crunchy breadcrumb topping gives an interesting texture.
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
60g/ 2oz/ 1/4 cup butter, plus extra for greasing
125g/ 4 1/2oz/ 1/4cup low-fat soft cheese
150ml/ 1/4pint/ 2/3cup single (light )cream
150ml/ 1/4pint/ 2/3cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp caraway seeds
60g/ 2oz/ 1cup fresh white breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
parsley sprigs, to garnish
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the lemon juice and fennel. Cook for 2-3 mins to blanch, drain and place in a greased ovenroof dish.
- Beat the soft cheese in abowl until smooth. Add the cream, milk and beaten egg and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper and pour the mixture over the fennel.
- Melt 15g/1/2 oz/ 1tbsp of butter in a small frying pan (skillet) and fry the caraway seeds gently for 1-2 mins, until they release their aroma. Sprinkle them over the fennel.
- Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan(skillet). Add the breadcrumbs and fry over a low heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Sprinkle them over evenly over the surface of the fennel.
- Place in a pre heated oven, 180C/350F/ gas mark 4, and bake for 25-30 mins until the fennel is tender. Serve immediately, garnish with sprigs of parsley.