Fennel and Broad Bean Tart
|1 Fennel (s)||
|1kg Broad Beans (s)||
|Half Fat Creme Fraiche|
- 375g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry.
- 2 tbsp olive oil.
- 2 large fennel bulbs, finely sliced.
- 150g broad beans.
- 3 large free-range eggs, plus.
- 1 egg yolk.
- 200ml half-fat crème fraîche.
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan, grated.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Line a 20cm fluted tart tin that’s 4cm deep with the shortcrust pastry. Prick all over with a fork and line with baking paper and baking beans or rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the fennel and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft. Cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, then refresh under cold water and remove the outer skins, if you like.
- Spread the fennel over the bottom of the tart case and top with the beans. In a jug, mix together the eggs, egg yolk, crème fraîche and Parmesan and season. Pour into the tart case, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until set and golden.