Fragrant Rhubarb Meringue
|1kg Rhubarb (s)||
|1 Large Oranges - beautifully sweet and juicy(s)||
|1 Mint (Bunch)(s)||
Serve with whipped cream and crisp biscuits to enjoy more.
675g (1 1/2 lb) fresh rhubarb, cut into 2.5cm (1in) lengths.
85g (3oz) sugar.
300ml (1/2 pint) unsweetend orange juice or water.
3 fresh mint leaves, chopped.
2 medium egg whites.
85g (3oz) caster sugar.
- Put the rhubarb into a slow cooker.
- Put the sugar, orange juice and mint into a small saucepan. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar has just dissolved. Remove from the heat , cover and leave to stand for 10 mins.
- Strain the liquid and pour over the rhubarb.
- Put the lid on and cook on LOW for 2 1/2-3 1/2 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F), gas 6. Whisk the egg whites until they stand in peaks. Add the sugar and whisk until stiff. If the rhubarb produced a lot of juice, spoon out the extra liquid before spreading the meringue over the fruit. Bake in the hot oven for 10-15 mins until golden brown.