|1kg White Cabbage (s)||
|2 French Beans (Pre-Packed)(s)||
|1 White Cauliflower(s)||
|2 Garlic (Loose Bulb)(s)||
|1 Spanish Onion.(s)||
|1kg Sprouts English(s)||
|1 Lemons (s)||
|1 Spring Onions(s)||
|Salt (to taste)|
This is a well-known and very popular Indonesian salad of mixed vegetables with peanut dressing.
100g/ 3 1/2oz/ 1cup shredded white cabbage
100g/3 1/2 oz french (green) beans, cut into three
100g/ 3 1/2oz carrots, cut into matchsticks
100g/ 3 1/2oz cuualiflower florets
100g/ 3 1/2oz beansprouts
100ml/3 1/2 fl oz/ 1/2 cup vegetable oil
100g/ 3 1/2oz/ 1 cup unsalted peanuts
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small onion, fine chopped
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp light brown sugar
425ml/ 3/4pint/ 2 cups water
juice of 1/2 lemon
sliced spring onions (scallions), to garnish
- Cook the vegetables separately in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 4-5mins, drain well and chill.
- To make the dressing, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the peanuts, tossing frequently, for 3-4 mins.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Process the peanuts in a food processor until a fine mixture is formed.
- Pour all but 1 tsbp of oil from the pan and fry the garlic and onion for 1 minute. Add the chilli powder, sugar, a pinch of salt and water then bring it to the boil.
- Stir in the peanuts. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 mins until the sauce is thickens. Add the lemon juice and set aside to cool.
- Arrange the vegetables in a serving dish and spoon the peanut dressing into the centre. Garnish and serve.