|1 Spinach (Fresh bunches)(s)||
|1 Spring Onions(s)||
This is an imaginative way to serve spinach, which adds a little zip to it. It is a very simple dish, which will compliment almost any curry.
500g/ 1lb/ 2oz spinach or swiss chard or baby leaf spinach
2 tbsp mustard oil
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
2 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- Remove the tough stalks from the spinach
- Heat the mustard oil in a preheated wok or large heavy-based frying pan Until it smokes. Add the garam masala and mustard seeds. Cover the pan quickly, you will hear the mustard seeds popping inside.
- when the popping has ceased, remove the cover, add the spring onions (scallions) and spinach. Cook stirring constantly, until the spinach has wilted.
- Continue cooking the spinach, uncovered over a medium heat for 10-15 mins, until most of the water has evaporated.
- Remove the spinach and spring onions (scallions) with a slotted spoon, draining off any remaining liquid.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve immediately, while it is still pipng hot.