|2kg Onions (Brown)(s)||
|1kg Tomatoes (Mini Plum vine) loose(s)||
|1 Carrots (Bunched)(s)||
|2 Baking Potato.(s)||
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 1 large onion, sliced.
- 200g tomato purée.
- Good glug of Madeira.
- 2 tbsp pearl barley.
- Dash of Tabasco sauce.
- 3 litres fresh vegetable stock, hot.
- 24 baby onions, unskinned.
- 2 carrots, sliced.
- 2 parsnips, cored and cut into batons.
- 3 celery sticks, roughly chopped.
- 2 baking potatoes, very finely sliced.
- 25g butter, melted, for brushing.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the tomato purée and cook for 8 minutes, stirring – this intensifies the flavour.
- Stir in the Madeira and boil for a few minutes. Add the barley, Tabasco and 1 litre stock. Boil, then simmer for 20 minutes to reduce by one-third.
- Bring the remaining stock to the boil in a large saucepan and add the baby onions. Cook for 5 minutes then cool in cold water. Peel. Blanch the other veg (do the potatoes separately) for 3 minutes. Lift into a colander to drain well then season and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Put the veg (except the potatoes) in 6 x 300ml pie dishes. Spoon in the sauce and top with overlapping potato slices. Brush with butter and grill on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes, until golden.