Layered Squash, Barley and Spinach Pie
|1 Spanish Onion.(s)||
|1 Garlic (Loose Bulb)(s)||
|1kg Carrots (White Heritage)(s)||
|1kg Button Mushroom(s)||
|01 Bay Leaf (60G Pack)(s)||
|1 Spinach (Fresh bunches)(s)||
|1 Chives (60G Pack)(s)||
|1 Berlotte Beans(s)||
|1kg Red Long Peppers(s)||
|1 Coriander (Bunch)(s)||
This is a wonderful Christmas dish for vegetarians
FOR THE FILLING
1 small butternut squash (about 1kg/2lb 4oz) peeled and cubed
3tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra for brushing
3 onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves crushed
100gm mushrooms sliced
85gm whole cooked chesnuts, quartered
100gm pearl barley
1.2l vegetable stock
1tbsp dark soy sauce
zest 1 lemon
250g/9oz tub recotta
200gm full-fat soft cheese
1/2x20gm/1oz pack sage leaves, picked and chopped
400gm baby spinach
20gm pack parsely leaves, chopped
FOR THE PASTRY
700gm plain flour
85gm/3oz white vegetables shortening(we used trex)
1 egg lightly beaten, few bay leaves (optional)
- Heat oven to 200 C/fan 180 C/gas 6 and roast the butter nut squash with 1tbsp oil for 25-30 mins, until tender then set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large pan and cook the onions and garlic for 10 mins until soft. Remove two thirds then add the mushrooms, chesnuts and pearl barley to the pan, sizzle for a few mins then add the stock, bring to the boil. Stir in the soy sauce season.
- Stir the zest ricotta, soft cheese, good amount of seasoning until smooth. take a third of mixture and gently fold with the sage and roasted squash. tip the spinach into a clean tea towel and squezed out all the moisture, chop, mix into the remeaning ricotta with the parsely.
- Make the pie, brush a 900g loaf tin with a little oil. Make 3 long triple layers strips of foil. tip 3 flour and 3 tspn salt into the largest bowl. melt the butter shortening and milk with 200ml water in a pan. Once melted increase heat until bubbling fifercely, tip onto the flour, quickly beat with a wooden spoon.
- Ease into the tin, pressing evenly into the corner and sides. spoon in the spinach layer, smooth the surface, then reapeat with the barley and finally the squash layer. dome the squash mix slightly to give a rounded top.
- Heat the oven to 200 C/fan 180 C/gas 6 and put a large baking sheet inside. Brush the surface of the pie with egg. lift onto the heated baking tray and bake for 30 mins. then reduce the heat to 180C/fan 160 C/gas 4 and bake for further 1 hour and 30 mins until the pastry is golden brown.