|1 Spring Onions(s)||
|1 Green Pepper(s)||
|1 Cucumber (s)||
|1 Large Oranges - beautifully sweet and juicy(s)||
|1 Mint (Bunch)(s)||
|1 Continental Lollo Lettuce (s)||
|Chick Peas (garbanzo beans)|
|Sultanas (golden raisins) or raisins|
Couscous is a type of semolina made from durum wheat. It is wonderful in salads, as it readily takes up the flavour of the dressing.
175g/ 6oz/ 2 cups couscous
1 bunch spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
1 small green (bell) pepper, seeded and chopped
10cm/ 4inch piece of cucumber, chopped
175g/ 6oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rainsed and drained
60g/ 2oz/ 2/3 cup sultanas (golden raisins) or raisins
salth and pepper
mint sprigs, to garnish
lettuce leaves, to serve
Finely grated rind of 1 orange
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
150ml/ 1/4 pint/ 2/3 cup natural yogurt
- Put the couscous into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave it to soak for about 15 mins to swell the grains, then stir gently with a fork to separate them.
- Add the spring onions (scallions), green (bell) pepper, cucumber, chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and sultanas (golden raisins) or raisins to the couscous, stirring then season well with salt and pepper.
- To make the dressing, place the orange rind, mint and yogurt in a bowl and mix together. Pour over the couscous mixture and stir to mix well.
- Remove the peel and pith from the oranges. Cut the flesh into segments, removing all the membrane.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a 4 serving plates. Devide the couscous mixture between the plates ans arrange the orange segments on top. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and serve.