Red Peppers Stuffed With Fennel
|1 Spanish Onion.(s)||
|1kg Sweet Piccolo Peppers(s)||
|1 Garlic (Loose Bulb)(s)||
|1kg Plum Vine Tomato (s)||
|1 Flat Leaf Parsley (Bunch)(s)||
|1 Fennel (s)||
4 large rectangular red sweet peppers.
4 fennel bulbs.
5 tbsp oil.
2 onions, finely chopped.
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
450g/1lb ricotta cheese.
55g/2oz shelled pistachios, finely chopped.
400g/14oz canned chopped plum tomatoes.
1 tbsp tomato paste.
1 tsp sugar.
large pinch of cayenne pepper.
1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley.
salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180-C/350F/gas4 and grease a wide baking dish with 1 tbsp of oil.
- Halve the fennel bulbs lengthwise and trim them, discarding the woody corse and reserving the leafy tops. Blanch the bulbs halves for 5 mins in boiling water. Drain and pat dry. Halve the peppers lengthwise and remove all seeds and pith.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat and gently saute the onion and 3 of the chopped garlic cloves until just translucent.
- Mix thes into the ricotta together with the nuts and seasoning. Place 3 or 4 spoonfuls of this mixture in each of the pepper halves. Carefully place a blanched fennel bulb in each pepper half so that it sits in the cheese mixture. Add more mixture around the edges of each if necessary to fill.
- Mix the tomatoes and their liquid with 150ml 1/4pt of warm water, the tomato paste, sugar, remaining chopped garlic, cayenne, parsley and salt to taste. pour this carefully around the stuffed peppers. Dribble the remaining oil over the top of the stuffed peppers, cover the dish and bake for 20-30 mins, until the cheese is bubbling and the vegetables beginning to brown.