Rice and Banana Brulee
|1 Ruby 'Blood' Oranges (4 pack)(s)||
|1kg Ginger (Loose) (s)||
|1 Lemons (s)||
|2kg Bananas (s)||
|Demerara (Brown Crystal) Sugar|
|Can Creamed Rice Pudding|
Take a can of rice pudding, flavour it with orange rind, stem (candied) ginger, raisins and sliced bananas and top with a brown sugar glaze.
400g/ 14oz can creamed rice pudding
grated rind of 1/2 orange
2 pieces stem (preserved ) ginger, finely chopped
2 tsp ginger syrup from the jar
40g/ 1 1/2oz/ 1/4 cup raisins
1-2 tsp lemon juice
4-5 tbsp demerara (brown crystal) sugar
- Empty the can of rice pudding into a bowl and mix in the grated orange rind, ginger, ginger syrup and raisins.
- Cut the bananas diagonally into slices, toss in the lemon juice to prevent them from discolouring, drain and divide between two individuals flameproof dishes.
- Spoon the rice mixture in an even layer over the bananas so the dishes are almost full.
- Sprinkle an even layer of sugarover the rice in each dish.
- Place the dishes under a preheated moderate grill (broiler) and heat until the sugar melts, taking care the sugar does not burn.
- Set aside to cool until the caramel sets, then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Tap the caramel with the back of spoon to break it.