Roasted Rhubarb and Beet Salad
|1kg English Rhubarb (s)||
|2 Candy Striped Beetroot (Bunched)(s)||
|Salt and Pepper (to taste)|
4 medium beets, washed.
1 1/2 cups (350 mL) rhubarb, cut into 1 1/2 in (3 cm) diagonal slices.
1/4 cup (60 mL) honey.
2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil.
2 Tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar.
Dash each of salt and pepper.
4 cups (1 L) mixed organic greens.
1/2 cup (125 mL) walnuts.
3 1/2 oz (100 g) soft goat cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Place whole beets in oven and bake until knife pierces the skin easily. Set aside to cool, then chop.
- Toss rhubarb with honey. Spread out onto parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes. The rhubarb should be tender, but not mushy. Set it aside to cool.
- In large bowl whisk together oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add mixed greens, beets, and walnuts; toss well.
- Divide evenly on 4 salad plates, and top with rhubarb and crumbled goat cheese.
By Pamela Durkin