Stuffed Globe Artichokes (Kabobs)
|4 Globe Artichoke (s)||
|1kg Pickling Onions(s)||
|1 Garlic (Loose Bulb)(s)||
|1kg Button Mushroom(s)||
|1 Basil (60G Pack)(s)||
|1kg Tomatoes (Mini Plum vine) loose(s)||
|1 Lemons (s)||
|Pitted Black Olives|
|White Bread Crumbs|
|Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)|
This imaginative and attractive recipe for artichokes stuffed with nuts, tomatoes, olives and mushrooms, has been adapted for the microwave.
4 globe artichokes
8 tbsp of water
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
225g/ 8oz/ 2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
40g 1 1/2 oz 1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced
60g/ 2oz 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
25g/ 1oz/ 1/4cup pine nuts, toasted oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes for drizzling
salt and pepper
- Cut the stalks and lower leaves off the artichokes. Snip off the leaf with scissors. Place 2 artichokes in a large bowl with half the water and half of lemon juice. cover and cook on high power for 10 mins, turning the artichokes over halfway through, until a leaf pulls away easily from the base. Leave to stand cover for 3 mins before draining. Turn the artichokes upside down and leave to cool. Reapeat to cook the remaining artichokes.
- Place the onion, garlic and oil in a bowl. Cover and cook on high power for 2 mins, stirring once. Add the mushrooms, olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Cover and cook on high power for 2 mins.
- Stir in the basil, breadcrumbs and pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn the artichokes the right way up and carefully pull the leaves apart. Remove the purple-tipped central leaves.
- Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions and spoon into the centre of each artichoke. Push the leaves back around the stuffing.
- Arrange in a shallow dish and drizzle over a little oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes. Cook on high power for 7-8 mins to reheat, turning the artichokes around half way through.