Vegetable and Corn Chowder
|1kg Italian New Potatoes (s)||
|1kg Loose Broccoli(s)||
|1 Red Pepper(s)||
|1 Coriander (Bunch)(s)||
|1kg Red Onions.(s)||
|1 Baby Corn(s)||
|Cheddar Cheese (grated)|
|Salt (to taste)|
This is a really filling soup, which should be served before a light main course. It is easy to prepare and filled with flavour.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, diced
1 red (bell) pepper, seeded and diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large potato, diced
2 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
600ml/1 pint 2 1/2 cups milk
300ml 1/2 pint 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
50g/ 1 3/4 oz broccoli florets
300g 10 1/2 oz 3 cups canned sweetcorn(corn), drained
75g/ 2 3/4 oz/ 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated salt and pepper
1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro) to garnish
- Heat an oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, (bell) pepper garlic and potato and saute over a low heat, stirring frequently for 2-3 mins.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 30 secconds. Gradually stir in the milk and stock.
- Add the broccoli and sweetcorn (corn). Bring it to the boil, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in50g13/4oz 1/2 cup of the cheese until it melts.
- Season and spoon the chowder into a warm soup tureen. Garnish with the remaining cheese and the coriander (cilantro) then serve.