Vegetable Hot Pot
|1kg Estima potatoes(s)||
|1 Spanish Onion.(s)||
|1kg Carrots (White Heritage)(s)||
|1kg Loose Broccoli(s)||
|1 Purple Cauliflower (s)||
|1 Golden Delicious Apples (French) (s)||
|1 Sage (60G Pack)(s)||
|Plain (all-purpose) Flour|
|Salt and Pepper|
In this recipe, a variety of vegetables are cooked under a layer of potatoes, topped with cheese and cooked until golden brown.
2 large potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, halve and sliced
1 leek, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot cut into chunks
100g/ 3 1/4ozbroccoli florets
100g/ 3 1/4oz caulifolwer florets
2 small turnips, quartered
1tpsn plain (all-purpose) flour
700ml/ 1 1/4pints/ 3cups vegetable stock
150ml/ 1/4pint 2/3cup dry cider
1 eating apple, cored and sliced
2 tbsp chopped sage
pinh of cayenne pepper
50g/ 1 3/4oz/ 1/2cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
- Cook the potato slices in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 mins. Drain thoroughly and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole. Add the onion, leek,garlic and saute, stirring ocassionally, for 2-3 mins. Add the remaining vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for a further 3-4 mins.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 min. Gradually add the stock and cider and bring to the boil. Add the apple, sage and cayenne pepper and seaon well.
- Arrange the potato slices on top of the vegetable mixture to cover.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the potato slices and cook in a pre heated oven, 190C/ 375F/ gas mark 5 for 30-35 mins or until the potato is golden brown. Serve immediately.